James H. Wesson
Level Three Field Technician
University of California San Francisco IT Field Services (ITFS)
School of Medicine Information Services Unit (SOM ISU)
February 2003 – July 2014
Project, Management, and Training Experience
- Create Knowledge Base (KB) categories, templates, workflow, and training curriculum; teach two KB classes to 50 technicians; write, review, edit, and approve ServiceNow KB articles; contribute 25 published KB articles.
- Manage hardware upgrade project at three locations for 32 customers with shifting grant deadlines: meet with stakeholders, develop upgrade plan, and coordinate technician and customer schedules.
- Collaborate with team to create support workflows during IT restructuring: create new support teams, expand support from 500 to 1500 customers, on-board new departments, manage increased workload, adapt to new performance metrics.
- Train incoming field technicians on technical, institutional and historical knowledge during IT restructuring.
- Initiate and manage transition of UCSF Osher Center IT support from single technician to SOM ISU enterprise team support.
- Develop IT infrastructure requirements for the UCSF Osher Center in new building by mediating needs of stakeholders, IT engineers, and facilities managers; communicate requirements to IT and architecture project managers throughout construction.
- Assess business and technical needs for SOM ISU inventory management: define scope, analyze products, select candidates, contact vendors, coordinate interviews with stakeholders, write assessment and make recommendations to management.
- Manage UCSF Osher Center IT resources from 2003 to 2011: oversee growth from 22 employees and 30 systems at one location to 75 employees and 90 systems across four locations.
Technical and Support Experience
- Support 1500 customers as a member of a nine-person team servicing Windows 7/XP and Mac OS X workstations, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android, local and workgroup printers and scanners; scientific, medical, business, and in-house applications.
- Test and troubleshoot IT services for new building move-in including wired and wireless networks for access to Exchange; file, print, domain, and DNS servers.
- Write technical documents for both customer and technical audiences including individualized instructions, technical reference, and checklists.
- Comprehensive use of IT support tools including ServiceNow, BigFix Console, Active Directory OU management, Bomgar Remote Desktop console, Windows Remote Desktop, Symantec Endpoint Protection, PGP Desktop, PGP Enterprise Console, CrashPlan Client and Recovery Console, Juniper and Cisco VPN, Cisco Jabber, Casper Imaging, MDT, Box.
Computing Resource Manager
UCSF Dermatology and Otolaryngology
June 2001 – October 2002
- Manage a two-person desktop computing support team for two departments across four locations.
- Administer servers for First Class email, Windows NT4 files and accounts, and Retrospect backup.
- Consult with clients, managers, and enterprise IT groups on departments’ IT needs and projects.
University of Alabama In Huntsville
Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy
Certifications and Recognitions
- ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
- April 2014 Above and Beyond Peer Recognition Award – ITFS
- March 2010 Employee of the Month – SOM ISU
- July 2002 School of Medicine Dean’s Office STAR Award – UCSF Dermatology and Otolaryngology